15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
450 g (1 lb) of flank steak, skirt steak or carne asada
1 large yellow onion
2-3 bell peppers of various colors
15 ml (1 tbsp) of Rose Hill Fajitas Seasoning Salt
Onion: Peeled and sliced along the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections 1/2" wide at widest point.
Bell peppers: Stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into strips.
Jalapeño: Seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped (be careful not to touch your eyes or anywhere near your eyes after handling a Jalapeño pepper).
Juice of 1 lime
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
30 ml (2 tbsp) Rose Hill Fajitas Seasoning
2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper
60 ml (1/4 cup) chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
1. Mix all marinade ingredients. Coat the steak with the marinade and let it sit at room temperature for an hour, or longer in the fridge. Before you cook the meat, wipe o most of the marinade and sprinkle the steak with salt.
2. Set a large cast iron pan or griddle over high heat and let this heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the tablespoon of oil to the pan and let this heat up for 1 minute. Add the steak, frying on each side for 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. Season steak with Rose Hill Fajitas Seasoning, 3 minutes per side will yield approximately medium rare doneness for an average cut of flank steak. Carne asada and skirt steak will need less time. If the pan starts to smoke too much, reduce the heat to medium-high. You want the steak browned, not burned. Remove from pan and let sit, tented with foil, for 5 minutes.
3. Cook the vegetables while the meat is resting. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary, then add the onions and bell peppers. Let these sear for 1 minute before stirring, then stir every 90 seconds or so as the veggies sear. Cook for 5-6 minutes total.
4. Slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. If you slice the meat at an angle, you will be able to get your slices pretty thin. These cuts of steak are avourful but can be a little tough, so thin slices will really help make it easier to eat.
5. Serve immediately with shredded cheese, salsa, shredded iceberg lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and warm our tortillas. (Hint for warming tortillas - put in microwave over a paper towel for 20 seconds on high heat.) put in microwave over a paper towel for 20 seconds on high heat.)